Wednesday, January 30, 2008

! Yes I DO Ride the 45 Lb Bike!

Call me a pansy! I chickened out yesterday. (Or I made the wise for me choice...) With wind steadily blowing 25mph & Gusts up to 36 NNE, against me… I thankfully accepted a ride home. I had been worried about struggling against the wind, trying to walk/run, then getting up in the morning & pedaling in to work again for the 3rd day in a row.

On the way home, my ride graciously stopped at one of the LBS. I popped in to ask if they could tighten up whatever was holding the crank arms to the bike (Discussion & observation with TexaFornia concluded that these parts were loose, thus creating the grating squeak). One of the shop guys said, “yes”, then strangely followed me out to lift The Beast out of the truck bed( it must have been ‘cuz I still had my 8-5 clothes on. I was wearing a knee length layered kick skirt & low heels, so I didn’t Look like a cyclist…But since I don’t yet own any cycling specific attire I never do.). He reached over the side of the truck to heft The Beast out. Right then it started.

“How much does this bike weigh?” Wheeling it in & parking it, while he removed a nice bike from the stand, he’s calling the other 4 guys in the shop.” Come ‘er, you gotta pick this thing up.” I was feeling a tad embarrassed to have all these bike guys attention focused on my lugger! The shop also had about 7 customers in it listening to this commentary over the ’sturdy frame that could take a pounding… etc’. I explained the problem (inserting Brett’s name for customer reference support) finishing up by explaining that 3 weeks ago I had begun bike commuting the 8 miles to work. The guy wrenching on The Beast literally fell over. (He was astonished) I don’t know if he was surprised due the bike, or me. I just ignored the reaction & went on.) $10.85 lighter, I was heading out of the bike store (still ogling The Amsterdam) when the bike tech helping me wheeled in a heart happy piece of bike candy.

It appears that my nature is going to react to bikes similarly to the way it responds to autos. I don’t know if you will understand. I didn’t have teen heartthrobs on my walls when I was growing up… I had muscle cars (and a few pictures of body building pictures of Arnold Schwarzenegger!). I want artistic beauty that makes my heart smile, smooth sleek curves wrapped in gleaming paint hinting at the power inside, or aggressive contours, shiny chrome backed up by a motor that makes your heart skip beats! The bike at his hand was a bike version of an air-cooled VW, an electra 3 speed with a yellow & orange dasiy scheme. Click here for the picture(links are in green). You would have to smile every day you got on this thing! BUT it didn’t look up to a 16 mile/day commute.

This morning pedal in was PERFECT! It was 33 degrees, 15 % humidity (just the way I like it), wind 6-10 mpwh SSE against me, the bike wasn’t squeaking, the sky was clear Beautiful! I wore black quick dry shorts, a long-sleeved T, the Aaron sweater, gloves, clear glasses & helmet. Departed 6:55. Arrived 7:33. I got to see the pink flush of the sun rise. This mornings biking was Zen. I was_what I was doing.

Biking this morning, I experienced a great sense of community. Before my half way mark, a cyclist dressed in fancy gear passed me with a quiet good morning. I caught up to him at the light and we exchanged a few pleasantries. I didn’t get his name, but won’t forget his red socks! On alternate mornings he will either run or pedal 3-4 miles before driving to work (To myself; I wondered why he needed all the bike specific gear for so short a distance….)Is this an American only trait? That we think we need specific gear for specific activities? Are we being subliminally suckered into believing all the marketing for gimmicks & unnecessary whiz-bang gadgets?( In other countries individuals bike commute to work or the train station in their work clothes. They may just wear their everyday tennis shoes or boats for a ‘day-hike…) at another light the only vehicles waiting were myself & another woman bundled up on an equally poor quality bike. We said howdy in passing. On my ugly hill I managed to gasp out a howdy to an Asian man walking a Basset and a smaller mop shaped dog that I have seen the last few days.

The pedal home should be good too. It’ll be around 55, 33% humidity, winds will be 10-15 SSE(with me!!)

And my hair even decided to behave after the pedal! It’s a lovely day!

No comments: