Thursday, January 31, 2008

Red Neck Eloquence & Aggie Courtesy

With my Aaron sweater crammed into the rear side basket that usually holds lunch, I pulled out of work around 5:08 wearing grey shorts, a maroon long-sleeve T, gloves & of course the helmet & safety glasses. Weather was perfect for my ride, yet I was a bit frustrated. It seemed like I was pedaling Slow! My breathing was pretty normal; I could have been carrying on a conversation. But my legs wear Screamingly Tired. They were burning. In reality I was a little slower. My drive was below the wheels at 5:51.

My legs recovered pretty quickly, so after dinner I went for a 2 mile walk( I couldnt seem to manage the running). I am getting shin splints. I am not a wimp, but these are pushing towrds pretty darn painful. I fell into my featherbed at 10pm & was Out.

That little amount of clothing was perfect. Wearing thick socks & gloves seems to make a world of difference for warmth. Combining those items with the shorts & long sleeve T was plenty warm enough for me while pedaling, though I could feel a chill while waiting on some of the longer lights.

As I am riding w/out headphones, I was lucky enough to experience another first. I’ll call it a moment of Red Neck Eloquence. I am pedaling on a residential arterial with a steady flow of vehicles impatiently coasting by. A mid ‘90’s white Chevy ½ ton slows beside me & the passenger window comes down. The driver shouts out his thick witted concepts of romantic drivel. (It must not have worked for him yet, as the passenger seat did not contain a woman!) Crazy at it is, the very next block this happened again only as a whistle along with words. Poor guys, maybe they need bikes of their own!

TAMU school colours are Maroon & grey (and this town bleeds Maroon.) By accident I just happen to be wearing these colours( hey I only have a couple of long sleeve ts). This created opportunity for the other weird anomaly I noted while pedaling… The extra nice Aggie drivers. Suddenly they were waving for me to go thru the stop, or go ahead of them or giving me a gentle War Hymn honk (only one did this). The thing is I couldn’t take them up on their niceness….. What if the other drivers at the stop signs weren’t buying into the Aggie Niceness? I’d be a little dented. So I kept declining the friendly waving hands. Hopefully none of them were mad.

I prepped to pedal this morning, but didn’t ride. Grand pianos were falling from the sky along with a torrent of cats & dogs. It was nasty. I wasn’t expecting it, but my body is Stiff! Thankfully the marathoner was in today so we discussed some stretches. I probably won’t get any activity in today... which kinda bums me out (I may try to jump rope for 5-10 minor just stretch!!)). I am enjoying a girl’s nite out, meeting several ladies for dinner, drinks & face aching amounts of laughing!

Pedaling tomorrow!

No comments: