Monday, January 28, 2008

Trip to the Bike shop/ Signed up for My First 5K

( greeen text is linked)Friday during lunch I tagged along to 2 LBS. I can definitely say one should visit the bike shops first with a bike aware individual that is already a confirmed client of the shop. What a difference it makes! There are parts & strange gadgets in assorted textures of black dangling from hooks everywhere. The shop guys are in the ‘work area’ in back, wrenching on sleek steeds with Italian looking names. I have ventured into both the shops before, but the level of service felt different. Before, I was comparable to a woman in the auto-parts store looking for a car part (I am actually very comfortable doing this;-). I was in the shop but unable to really articulate what I wanted/needed. ( “What kind of commuter bike. A single speed, a fixed gear..” Brett responds, “No, no she needs gears!”)

One of the guys Brett is coaching for his first tri found a used commuter bike in the corner… cheap. Since I am not yet in the market for a bike, I was hesitant to get on; but after watching him pedal around the shop (it was raining outside), I got on.

Wow! The handlebar grips were Squishy. The seat was comfy. The bike weighed so little I could raise it above my head with 1 arm. I got on. With 1 rotation I was Sailing! It felt as if there was no bike between my knees. I was amazed. Having no comparison.. I had failed to understand exactly what Brett meant about The Beast being a $40 Wal-Mart bike. Understanding hit on a deeper level, while balancing on what felt like a dream. I didn’t get the bike. I did daydream about the feeling of it this weekend (but wished it was a different coulour). I looked at 2 more costly bikes (I think I want a green one.. or purple.. some day!)

I also flipped thru a catalog of woman’s cycling apparel. To my surprise, the company had pretty jerseys, shorts (even wrap around skirts with matching socks!!) in my size! (Though since they are form fitting, I would probably feel uncomfortable wearing the shirts) To my disappointment they only had a few sports bras and none above a C. (I’ll keep looking!). I could have spent a fortune in that catalog (luckily my sense of balance kicked in…) it would be silly to have fancy biking clothes and be pedaling away astride The Beast!

I didn’t do any pedaling this weekend. Both days I walked/jogged 4 miles. I have never liked jogging. I usually get shin-splints (sp). BUT I paid for my first ever 5K. So I have to be able to finish it! 3.1 miles maybe nothing for you fixated tri-types.. but I am intimidated. My goal is to finish it. I can walk 4 miles. I can’t yet run 4 miles. I can walk/run 4 miles! The Armadillo Dash is Feb 24th. I have exactly 1 month!! Anyone wanna come cheer me on, or run along side of me??(as I know even less about running then I do biking) Should I go walking/runing after I have dinner, once I am home? I was debating on signing up for a yoga class, but I think I will sign up for the march one… as I don’t feel ready to do yoga M/W after pedaling...

This morning I pedaled my 8 miles in. I left at 6:55 & arrived 7:38 Since it was 44 with 90% humidity & a light wind SSE I skipped the Aaron sweater & just wore the clear glasses, orange shorts, white turtleneck, gloves& helmet. The fog was skimming about 2 trucks tall off the ground with a visibility of about 3-5 trucks. Everything was muffled. Pedaling went ok, except that my pedals began to SQUEAK loudly with every rotation. After changing into my 8-5 clothes, I had to put my hair up too, as it wouldn’t cooperate into the twists that I wanted it to be in. (well I was going to add a couple of pictures of The Beast, & 1 of myself after riding inn & changing into 8-5 clothes.... But am experieinicng issues when trying to upload images from my cell...)
The ride home should be pretty similar. 60 degrees, Wind 10 mph SSE, 30% chance of rain… Another Grey day in the neighborhood.

2 comments:

CVSURF said...

Uh Ho! You might have drank the Kool Aid. First you start with biking to work. Now you have signed up for a 5K. Next you will start looking for a pool. Your already looking at the shiny stuff in the catalogs. Next your drink of choice will be Gatorade and all you talk about is your heartrate. )

Chris said...

Best of luck on your 5k. You CAN do it. I agree with CV. The good thing about it is that you are on the road to an advanture that never gets boring.

Congratulations!