Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dank & Skivvieless


Warning: I may be querulous today.

Yesterday ended feeling miserably cold. I was glad that I had only pedaled ½ way to, & not at all on the way home.

I didn’t want to pedal to work this morning. I woke up with a hot little headache creasing across my forehead. It looked wet outside, not from rain; just from air so thick you almost needed a scuba mask & tank. After a shower & breakfast, I climbed into my usual riding attire (orange shorts, sports bra (I ditched wearing 2 bras! & I can now breather a bit better!) white turtleneck& Arron sweater) After making the bed, settling the cats(procrastinating?) I hopped on the seat at 6:48 a.m.

I am taking 1 commenter’s advice & riding w/out an earpiece full of music or a pod cast. I seem to have better control of my breathing when I can hear myself. Though I have decided that my head gets too hot for a woolen, I wonder what exists out there to cover my ears? My ears got cold then I developed an ache in the left one extending down my neck. My legs immediately turn reddish purple and slick over from the moisture condensing out of the air on any object it can rest on. The potholes & poor road maintenance feel like they are causing bigger bumps then usual. The air was dank, grey clouds merging with the streets creating a sense of claustrophobia. Everything seemed quieter then usual. When I left the house it was 36 degrees.

More whining; as I am pedaling, I feel the dull ache then onset of cramps. 99.9% of the time I Love the fact I am a woman. Then there’s that .1% of the time. Ughghhhh. No wonder I had a headache. Now I have cramps.(soon I’ll be craving a mostly raw steak & dark chocolate.)

My breathing is mostly smooth. It’s my legs that feel tired today (they shouldn’t as I only pedaled about 2 miles yesterday). I make the hills, but they take almost as much effort as the first week. I roll The Beast into my office at 7:28 a.m.

Only to discover I am skivvie-less! TexaFornia had shared some of his stories about issues surrounding bike commuting (I had snickered to myself, positive that I could be better organized.) I roll my eyes & grumble at myself! After all it’s one thing to go commando when you have planned on it! It’s another thing entirely when it’s by accident on a day when one is already a bit under the weather.( I can hear my granny’s voice saying, “Now DawnRenee make sure you have on clean good underwear, in case the plane crashes….!”)

At least I’ll have some delectable homemade chcicken & portebello soup & sourdough biscuits will have risen to greet me, when I get home. And my neighbor will have brought a sample of dark chocolate from Spain! The weather for the pedal home will be 43, 85% humidity with the wind against me at 5mph.

On a positive side note: I have noted a few of my pants getting looser (more on that later!)

No comments: