Thursday, January 24, 2008

Riding into the Wind (or my E/mental Hump?)

Going home yesterday was the longest pedal yet, aside from the Test ride when I walked 4 miles!Was it my emotional /mental state? I left the building feeling mentally strong having declined the offer for a ride ½ way, uttering the truth that I need the exercise. I was a little under the weather with cramps & a small headache, but nothing terrible. I didn’t think it would be any worse then wishing I was home in pj’s with a cuppa hot chocolate.

It took me 75 minutes to pedal home! (The same 8 miles that I have once made it in 38 minutes.). The ride took forever! Even telling myself I was 1/3 of the way, or ½ way didn’t work , as I needed to start encouraging myself before I even turned off the road employment was located on. I never got off & walked, though that may have been a faster mode of transportation. I was pedaling in easiest 6 gears and my legs were burning. My breathing was mostly ok, more laboured then usual, but my legs were aching. Muscles in my neck were aching. The trees weren’t bending towards the ground, on the leafless types; you could barely detect a breeze. There was a wind about 8-10 mph NNE so it was against me. The evil wind was determined to keep me from home. Several times I wished for a car or truck of a friend to pull over, or even a random stranger offering rides to Maine for.

After I finally wobbled wearily into my driveway, I let the cats out, shoved The Beast in & immediately got together my 8-5 clothes for the next day, made a lunch, then dinner for myself( I was starved by then so I wolfed down Way to much too quick!) I was getting ready for my first back to back pedal. It started raining at 8:30p.m.

I didn’t make the back to back pedal. My resolve weakened. A friend called. I accepted a ride into work. This may be for the best as when I woke up this morning, I still had menstrual cramps, a small headache, but more significantly, my entire body was SORE. In my 3 weeks of commuter pedaling, I have never been this sore. Everywhere. I feel like I need another 4 hours sleep. AND my scedule for sleep/pedaling/life has been pretty similar to last week.

Is it the wind? Can the monthly steak & chocolate craving harbinger cause such difficulties? Do I just need to whip my emotional /mental state to the next level; firming my resolve to ride daily? Since rain is becoming an issue (our winter is Jan-March) what is my best next purchase? Slicks with slime or rain gear? How have you urged yourself thru a hurdle?

I think some of it is mental stamina. Even though I turn down the offer for rides (sometimes) simply hearing the offer, places the idea in my head and my idle brain gropes the thought while my legs are pedaling. I can recall how very tired I was the first week I rode every other day, pedaling 3 days. I literally came home feed the cats, got ready for the next day then collapsed into bed. To wake up having never moved.( But feeling pretty darn good with satisfying still in bed morning streches)

Tomorrow, it’s a 60 percent chance of rain, sleet & a winter storm warning. I will probably make arrangements for a ride. (Though today was also a winter storm warning with a 60% chance of rain…. And it has cleared to a backlit aluminum grey with a steady wind at 15 mph NNE. This will be even more challenging to pedal into then yesterday!) My opportunity is either adjusting my emotional/mental pattern and /or how to better conquer riding into the wind. I think the answer is to just get out there & stop being a wimp…( or maybe initiate menapause...)


I'll get better. I can't get myself a new bike next Dec. unless I do get better!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I am loving following your blog. Please don't stop! :-)

Be safe out there!

Chris