Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pedaling Shame….

I drove today (I still have access to a vehicle for another wk), thus am writing about some thoughts/feeling that crossed my mind while pedaling.

Remember I am not a cyclist, tri, or other exercise obsessed mitochondrial enhanced anomaly, just an average ‘plus size’ under-exercised woman. Commuter biking to work is not about choosing for me. It is the only option! About a month ago I got a new job. On 12 /the beloved 47 yr old VW motor blew shrapnel everywhere. It’ll take a few months to save for a replacement motor, or an ugly little commuter car (neither are items I can really see the credit union giving a loan for.)

My initial week of pedaling revealed a huge sense of shame welling inside. Some of it stems from sadness surrounding The Pill (the bug). Much of this feeling seems reactionary to the kind comments offered by well-meaning individuals around me. EX. “I would Never ride a bike 8 miles to work.’ ‘How can you do That.’’ Isn’t there anyone you can ask for a ride?’ ‘I would get a job closer to the house.’ ‘ I would quit.’….. ad naseum. Nary a thought enters their minds that I wouldn’t(initially) be doing This, were there any other viable option!( I don’t happen to think getting a loan for a motor or an ugly used car is feasible for me at this time. If I wreck my planned budget, & acquire a new auto w/ correlating loan & monthly payments the bug will just sit & rot as I can’t affords both!)

Is a percent of American self worth measured by the auto you endlessly feed money to? Does a car-less individual represent a lesser class of citizen? In a state that promotes, “everything is bigger in TX”, it can unquestionably appear so! In a town with a neglected poor quality public transit and no/or minimal bike lanes; if you are biking because you ‘have to’ instead of because you ‘want to’ it seems easy to slide down the slope of negativity. In a society that places more value on appearance then competence (Do business clothes actually enhance your problem solving or other thinking skills? That answer is easy look around your place of employment…), newness rather then lasting quality… becoming a bike commuter pulls the black sheep from the herd.

Well I have always been an individual. The bumps & swerves of my life path have yet to create herd mentality in me. Tomorrow I will be pedaling again.

2 comments:

CVSURF said...

It sounds like you the type of person who does not worry what others think. Good for you. Keep pedaling

Iron Pol said...

Dawn, I am just trying to catch up on blogs I read, and I had linked to you after Brett posted about your site. I think you are onto something about how people react to things such as someone biking to work because they have to. You, however, are way ahead of them. You're doing it because it makes financial sense. How many of us would just take out a loan in order to "keep up with the Joneses?"

The Jones family is probably up to their eyeballs in debt, too. Great job! Keep up the good work, and let Brett talk you into a tri.