Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Test Ride

Howdy ya’ll. My test ride was 01/01/08.

But first let me tell you a tad about me. I am a sample of your ‘average’ overweight (I prefer the term undertall!)30’something, redheaded American woman. Having lived & traveled around the world courtesey of youth hostels & a good ol’ tent; my feelings and reactions are an improbable mix of TexaCali. Back when my muscles were less upholstered, I had a KHS bike, surfed, lifted weights, & backpacked. Exactly 1 month ago, I began full-time employment in College Station near Quiznos. I reside up in the Bryan Historic district. I drive; no I used to drive… a 46 year old VW. On 12/31/07 a loud bang, oil on the window and tons of smoke signaled a colossal transformation for my commuter habit. After calling the tow, truck, enjoying a few too many Guinness, & the obligatory champagne, I toasted the New Year..

A friend of mine graduated in May and had a bike her parents purchased for her. After 4 years and no use, the bike came to me. It’s blue Pacific SE2000.R. I think it came from Target. It has a gel seat pad, a front light (which I have already been told should be replaced& a back light. Now I have added a front wire basket & 2 wire collapsible back baskets, a bike lock & chain. Saturday mornings, I occasionally made the leisurely ride up to the Bryan Farmers Market.

I decided to blog about my bike rides to work, in all their hoary detail. Maybe it will help someone else realize, they can do it (or Not!). For sure; it will detail the misery, my lack of knowledge about bikes in general, my bike specifically, my general unpreparedness, moments of amazement, and my small (hopeful?) triumphs.

I used maps.google to plot my route & eased onto the seat around 12:30 pm. Air temp hovered around 43 with a light wind coming out of north. Only 7.6 miles, one way, to go! Aside from sounding like a broken old steam engine, my ride was uneventful. I coasted a lot! I pedaled slow on the light and middle gears. I stopped once in a parking lot at the top of my first incline to breathe(gasp really). I fumbled with my cell phone that poses as an mp3 player (Sony Ericsson w810i w/ a 4 G stick). 47 minutes later I was sitting on the grass at my destination, soaking up the sun. Surprised & mildly proud to have made it! (Little did I know!!)

After 20 minutes rest, I started for home. Right from the beginning it was hard! The wind was in my face. My nose was running. My eyes wear tearing. My gloveless hands were numb. My wrists hurt. The good thing was that since I had purposefully pedaled slow & coasted, my (atrophied) muscles weren’t screaming in agony! At about 4 miles the chain came off. Frozen, tired, & miserable, I sullenly began walking. The return trip took about 2.5 hours.

Once I got home, & my brain began working, I realized that I just needed my fingers to reset the chain. Then I was mad all over again, at myself.

All in all; I did it, so test ride successful.


Ps. This is my first blog.

No comments: