Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday07/14 My Bike is a Lugging Hunk of S***!!

Recall from Friday, that the dang screws came out of the rear basket arms & I lost the rear light (which Brett found while biking for a haircut at lunch). We zip tied the basket & I made it home fine. Even completed a leisurely pedal over to the library on Sat.

Monday morning starts out looking good. Its 34 degrees, wind is 5 mph NNE. My 8-5 clothes & lunch are packed. Attire is those orange quick dry shorts, squishy socks, a maroon long sleeve, & the Aaron sweater, with isotoner gloves, helmet(no wollen). 6:45 hop on the raised seat, start pedaling. About 1.5 miles later, I am Swearing in whatever language comes to mind first! The loud noise of basket arms scraping the tires, The rack & light bouncing heavily on the rear tire stop me. Ignorance is NOT Bliss.( I need to learn all about bike maintence….)

I’m closer to home then I am work. I turn around & start humping back, shoving the dreadful contraption alongside me. I walk then run, then walk. Pushing along my hulking worthless brute of a bike. Right now I am hating it! The only thing I am feeling grateful for is the cool temperature and maybe the hope that I won’t be late.

It’s my last week to have access to a neighbor’s car. I had planned not to use it for work at all this week. Plans hold no power over the universe; one should simply just be. (prepared for anything and accepting of all). A pocket knife isn’t always the right tool, even if it is the only tool you have.

I had thought to broach a scary subject I contemplated some more this weekend It won’t overcook for being simmered another week. But if my poor chubby, underworked body can pedal 16 miles per day…. I wonder what else I can do… and what all these similar overfed folks can do that they are just unaware of. I have always said that just because I had a layer of fat (for that nuc-cle-ear winter (say it like GW)) doesn’t mean I don’t have any muscle. Now I am developing some slow wind (endurance?)

It’s a perfect afternoon for a pedal home, no wind, 51 degrees, and I will be driving. I won’t get to smile at the cute little dashund, or test my timing against the lights.

Today began frustrating. I have struggled with that emotional set the entire day. I need to pedal or walk or something, my neck is tight.

Tomorrows’ another opportunity.

No comments: