Monday, January 7, 2008

First Day of (hopefully) a 5 day pedalling week.

Monday morning the temp was wonderful around 68-70. Humidity was 87%, with a constant wind at 14 mph S (of course the direction I am pedaling). I run thru the shower, get the cats organized, enjoy a cuppa Darjeeling & oatmeal w/ bluberrys, walnuts & crushed flaxseed. The pavement was damp & clouds were scuttling whitely against the blacker night sky.

For riding attire, I have one an old pair of Quicksilver board shorts, white car show t-shirt, Chaco sandals, & the helmet.

I wheel out @ 6;40 a.m.& get the play list on (Godsmack, Korn, Days of the New) & push off. Things seem to be going well. I am pedaling on a bigger (harder to push) gear & still breathing ok. The damp feels good blowing against my skin. The good felling dissipates quickly… the wind is working against me & my legs are slowing down, while my breathing is chuffing louder. At the first incline I am already breathing as hard as I had done the week prior at the top. I gear to a lighter pedal, just as I get passed. By another better equipped female bike commuter!! Enviously I stare at her clothe panniers, blinking rear light & skinnier bike profile. Out loud I remind myself I am halfway, 4 miles to go! I am off walking before the usual parking lot and it feels dangerous as cars whip by.

Rain drops come down randomly, hitting my skin and seeming to steam off. I don’t feel wet unless you count my head. Wearing a helmet is Hot! I start walking at the beginning of the second incline too (obstinate stop light is always timed against me….) it’s not far past the second incline to work, maybe 2 miles. I pull in ay 7:45. Can I blame the wind for my over hour commute for 8 miles?

Wheeling my bike in, I am pleased that no one is here yet. I put my bike in my office, & head to the loo to change. I am sweating & damp. My hair is soaked, Ick! I brought tan outfit I like,. After slipping into my skirt, shirt, & dusty turquoise suede jacket, I am surprised at the rapid recovery of my legs & breathe. The hair is a different story! It will just have to be a wildly curly, fuzzy mane haloed out around my face.

The wind is up to 20-25 mph gusts, thankfully still from the S, so as long as it doesn’t rain. Going home may be pleasant.

Brekfast:
Darjeeling tea, cream 2 sugars
Oatmeal with bluberries, walnuts & crushed flax seed

Snack:
Baby carrots
Mint tea
Colby cheese cubes

Lunch:
Chunky chicken & blackbean in a whole wheat tortilla
Chocolate cake with chocolate icing

Snack:
Apple slices
Yougurt w/granola

Dinner:

Milk
2 whole wheat tortilla tacos of corned beef, cubed swwet potatoe, tomatoe, sprouts & feta

Snack
constant comment tea, cream, stevia
cinnamon roll( homemade whole wheat)
?

2 comments:

Kim said...

You rock, Dawn!!

Old and Slow said...

I hate headwinds on commutes!

your saturday decision to ride to get your sore muscles going says lots about your attitude -- you weren't fed up with riding it after a few days.

You're gonna make this work.

BTW, make sure you stay well hydrated. It keeps you warm when it's cold out and cool when it's warm out.
Weigh yourself (on the same scale) before and after an hour ride -- if you drank anything keep track of how much -- add how much you drank(in ounces) to your before weight and subtract your after ride weight. the difference is how much you need to replenish. You will probably not lose too much on any given ride but if you are riding every day and not hydrating enough it will catch up to you. Dehydration sucks.