Monday, February 25, 2008

My 5 K

Perhaps I am almost a duoathete( is this even a word??) now.

Friday at lunch I pedaled over to pick-up my ‘race packet’. Good thing for me that Brett was also picking up his half mary packet, so he could tell me I actually needed 4 of those safety pins I had been wondering about. On the way back I learned how to jump off curbs on my bike! But I didn’t quiet manage the popping up onto a curb and hill (Some one could have won a funny video contest taping my attempt!)

The ‘race packet’ contained 2 coupons for buy one get one or free smoothies, information for an upcoming 5 K, information to join training group for a fee, the photo company’s website, a number, and the T.

Sat night, I got my gear ready, just as if I was pedaling to work. I had mapped my route. It was actually less miles then I pedal to work so I planned to pedal there & back. I had an apple, string cheese & water along with a spare pair of new tevas.

The sun was up already when I woke up. This was wrong! Like a goober I had set my cell alarm for p.m. !! After I finished steaming at myself, I got dressed. I had paid for my 5K and T-shirt and I was going to earn them! Otherwise I wouldn’t really have the right to wear it.

I pedaled up to the Kroger grocery, looped back, tossed the bike into the doorway, then walked over to the jr high were I have been doing my walking. I walked 3.5 miles. Then I pulled the bike back out and recreated my earlier loop to the grocery store.

My knees and feet bottoms were sore when I got home, but I didn’t feel too bad. I guzzled some water, made corned beef hash whole wheat tacos for lunch with a glass of milk, and then I took a Long nap. At least I had a quiet social life until I started using all this time to exercise a little….

I am disappointed that I missed the excitement and people watching available at the actual event! Hopefully my solitary actions simulated the event well enough that I can wear the T shirt…. Let’s hope that next time I set the alarm correctly!

The next one is April 5th for the school of rural public health on tamu campus.

No comments: