Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dark & Bamboo

Yesterday, I stayed late after work to learn a little more regarding servers & reboots… Pedaling in full dark in the morning is very different from pedaling in full dark at 6:40 in the evening!


In the morning when I set out, it is dark. Quiet, peaceful cozy homes cocooned warmly in the shadows. The train whistles convivially in the distance. I can hear birds beginning to stir and chirp over the hum of my extra knobby tires. Dawn either coasts thru the steely grey clouds, or glimmers pinkly with gradually increasing luminosity.

Evening dark is scary! Filled with the sinister sound of dually trucks careening down the road while the driver is arguing on a cell phone. My familiarity with the route evaporated with the last gleam of daylight. It felt like cars were breathing right against my legs. At almost halfway, my front lights dimmed then went out! I kept pedaling as I was going thru mostly student housing apartments. Then I realized my county style road was ahead! No Shoulders. No Sidewalk. No Streetlamps. Curvy, twisty, bumpy tar & gravel (it sure doesn’t feel like sealcoat!) I chickened out. At the next streetlamp, I called a friend & asked for a ride the rest of the way home… Its a true friend that will pick you up, bike & all!

By Thursday.. I am feeling a little tired & slow on the pedal, but I made it! I have to be ready after all. I am doing the Worst Day urban ride this Sunday!

The car analogy regarding bikes must continue…
Look at this Bamboo Bike that the rider made for himself! Pretty awesome! Bamboo is sustainable thus I admire innovative uses of it. But how to add some retro or functional art to it so it might be more like an old 40-50s beautiful car. The bamboo can sub for a burl dash… With chrome brackets (lugs I think they are called) subbing for curvy chrome. Then how about metal fenders primered for paint then paint an impressionistic flowerery design or a random eclectic image on them myself (I am no artist!! or get a friend who it to paint them!!) And as I am not up to a fixey or a single speed bike yet… Somehow I will need brakes, 7-10 gears, and baskets or a system for lugging my work clothes/grocery around! And get a bike helmet to paint to match the fenders!! I wonder how difficult it would be to get the frame together??? OK I am almost finished daydreaming.

At lunch I tagged along to one of the LBS. Have you ever noticed the distinct aromas of a bike shop? It’s a nice smell. Very different then an auto shop, yet related. The scent of new rubber, grease… some other flavours that I don’t know the name of. Like an auto shop, or a feed store; it is a happy smell. I got on & pedaled the Electra Daisy Orange (the air-cooled vw of bikes!). In a skirt & low heels. The bike shop guy hopped on & spun around the parking lot tempting me!!

Pedal home should be tough as I am tired & the wind is against me 10mph NNW but the weather is perfect!. AND I am going back to mooo juice.. World herd size be darned.... organic milk is Amazing Maybe I will try the 1%.. I can’t stand drinking the light vanilla soy! If women need soy protein I will have to get mine some other way.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I would have to agree that ther eis something soothing about commuting to work in the morning even when it's still dark out. I don't know if it's the expectation of the rising sun or what but... Commuting home at night definitely takes on new meaning for darkness. TRucks and cars seem closer and faster than the morning commute. Paranioa sets in too.

Glad you had a freind to help you out. It was a good call. Not worth "toughing" it out without a light.

Old and Slow said...

if you haven't done it yet get someone to stand well back from you and take a picture(with a flash) in the dark -- you'll find out just how visible (or not) that you are.
RoadId.com has some terrific products to help be more visible