Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It’s Official: I am a CYCLIST

Cyclist: Quirky individual that pedals a bicycle either alone or more commonly with a loosely organized group with no specific destination determined aside from the act of pedaling.

Sunday morning, I moaned my way to the edge of the bed at the same time I do for the weekly routine. After a shower & a gulp of soy(iccckk but I have to finish it!)milk I was ready. The Beast was already pointed towards the door. I pedaled off into the humid predawn murk going slow. I needed to conserve my energy the first 6 miles. 30 minutes later I was at destination 1.

At Coffee Station, I meet members of a local cycling club as they lounged about sipping gratuitous coffee preparing to pedal either the 10 mile urban route or the 40 mile county route. Aside from the ride organizer, his wife & myself… everyone was spandexed out in bike specific gear. I really admired a riders pink arm warmers! Oddly enough, I was the only one that pedaled to the ride (even the urban route folks drove their bikes to the meet-up). This was the unofficial inaugural for the BCS Worst Day Ride. Ironically the weather was perfect! I even won a door prize that no-one lese needed!. Our LBS had donated a blinky light! The 2 small groups collected their maps and people and peeled off.

With curiosity and trepidations, I hopped on my steed set to explore the alternate universe of companionable pedaling. Curious because I have never ridden with anyone else (unless you count when I was a kid with a dirt bike). Concerned that I wouldn’t be able to keep up, or would somehow make a grand fool of myself! After a brief review of urban biking we left the parking lot at a reasonable pace (for me).

So far so good. We stopped at every stop sign, we hit every red light. We streamed single file along the bike lanes. Conversation with other riders wasn’t improbable. Pedaling and speed was consistent regardless of slope. About 20 minutes into it I was beginning to breathe a little harder & my legs were aware that I was pedaling faster then usual. An individual training to be a ride marshal, laughed at my nemesis, hill #2.

We left the streets for paved bike paths thru parks. Pedaling thru the park was pretty! Even if I did almost take out a light pole that jumped in front of me!! Close to the end we encountered a steady slope and a short ugly hill. I huffed up it! Cofffee Station back in sight, we coasted down hill across my scary intersection and into the parking lot.

We averaged a speed of 9 mph (according to the ride marshal’s computer). The speed seemed consistent to me throughout the ride. I learned: that consistency makes you work harder! On my commute to and from work, my speed is Not consistent. I pedal faster/harder on level ground/downhill. I slow down going up those sneaky gradual inclines. I coast when I need to breathe. I like riding in groups for no reason at all aside from enjoying a nice day!

After a brief rest and a snack inside, everyone loaded their bikes and turned for home. I pointed The Beast north and started slowly pedaling the 6 miles home. After passing some turtles basking in the sun I pulled into my drive around 11:20. I had pedaled 22 miles!

I didn’t even feel too bad. After an hour off the bike my legs felt normal. I did have some bad coughing for about 20 minutes. It’s like my lungs get annoyed from doing all that breathing.

Thanks to Coffee Station for providing the meet-up & free coffee (for the caffeine addicts!) Thanks to Aggieland Cycling for providing door prizes. Thanks to Brett for pulling the idea from KBoo. Thanks for the cyclists I meet for not commenting on The Beast!!

So while I may not yet have all the gear…. It seems I have morphed into a cyclist. (ok, it's a lousy picture of me after the ride, but in the other one I am headless yet pedaling!)

On the ugly side I still have that 5K on the 24th… I still can’t run 3 miles but my goal is finishing and surviving.

Monday morning found me pedaling in my normal commute.
Last week I bike commuted to work 56 miles.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Great report! It sounds like you guys had an awesome time!

You know, I have never understood the concept of carrying a bike on a car to then take it off the car to ride it some 20-50 miles. (unless you drive hundreds of miles to get to the meeting spot, etc) Seems about equal with circling the parking lot at the local gym so you can get a spot close to the door so as not to walk too far to get inside and workout! ??

Go figure!
Thanks for taking us along on your ride.

TexanInOK said...

Nice job, that is a good ride on the old "Beast". Keep it up, I love reading the blog