Tuesday, March 11, 2008

!Yet Another Equipment Break-Down!

At least this time it was actually the cheap Target bike, itself!

While I am thrilled to have more daylight after work… I felt like I was pedaling out into “…Night, when words fade and things come alive…( Antoine de Saint). The dark was intense with heavy grey clouds blanketing the sky, only an occasional star winking warmly with a streetlamp glow. Twice I heard large something’s nameless rustle in the bushes as I was passing. Spring break meant I did not even have the occasional ‘howdy’ from a crossing guard to cheer my passage.

Once I settled into a pedaling cadence, I noticed my left pedal felt as if it was loose, wobbling unstably against my metatarsals. I shifted my foot off and spun the pedal hoping the other side was better (stop laughing already!!). If anything it felt as if it was getting shoddier. As usual, nothing for it but to persevere.

Work arrived 32 minutes later. I stepped off The Beast and my left pedal crank arm crashed to the tile. A weird looking inverted shallow socket type bolt beside it! At least it departed company with the bike after I made it to work! I rolled the bike into my new green greenery filled office, placed the crank arm and offending nut on a paper towel then changed into my day wear.

After good naturedly enduring the ribbing from our intern and my boss (a college volleyball player and the guy y’all may know from Zen and the Art of Tri,)Brett offered to take the bike past the LBS today when he went to check on his 1973 Chicago Schwinn. We arrived at the shop just prior to opening, which was pretty cool. I got to witness on of the guy’s riding a brakeless fixey(SP?) back pedal and skid to a halt. It looked pretty cool and I was impressed!

Inside bike jockey/mechs were swarming around, changing shoes, wheeling merchandise outside, taking test spins on bikes. Similar to a specialized circus! We ooooohed the progress on Brett’s vintage Schwinn, and Rob looked over my Beast, got the right tool and tightened the crank arm back on! These bike tech guys are collecting my vast appreciation!

I think I need to ramp up the schedule for acquiring a new to me Commuter/trekker bike to handle my 80 mile weekly commute (and maybe some occasional for fun social bike rides…). I want to spend $6-800 for a complete set-up (bike, front light, helmet…etc since I am borrowing a helmet)( I have a good blinky light, and the rack & folding rear metal baskets should transfer) If you have any pro/con experiences or suggestions regarding this I am all ears!

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. “ ~Henry Ward Beecher

No comments: