Monday, March 3, 2008

Wet Riding

Stubborn. It’s not always a good trait. Nicer words describing this characteristic are persistent, determined heading down hill with terms such as strong-willed, single-minded idiot. Pick one for me, any will fit.

The weatherman was predicating a cold front to blow in tonight, bringing with it some nasty storms. Like a groundhog, I poked my nose out the door around 5 a.m. this morning. The ground was damp, the wind was whipping…But it was 70 degrees and didn’t seem like rain was imminent. I stuck with my plan, hopped in the shower. A bit later I was pedaling out the door in my 5K t-shirt shorts.

First I was simply dank. Too warm to wear the (not breathable) rain jacket, I was soon damp, wet splotches darkening the baby blue cloth. My clear glasses were spotted, then steaming. Water began dripping down the helmet in a lovely trickle into my sports bra. The tires were making a consistent srsssssssshhhh noise, like pedaling thru a shallow stream. To top this fun, wind was coming in gusts up to 30mph against me. Yanking the front tire sideways in my hands occasionally. Weirdly I wasn’t afraid of the wet pavement, as I had thought I would be. I was scared the wind would knock me and The Beast over. YUCK.

I pulled up to the back door of work affronted with the day. It didn’t feel like a good beginning to a Monday. A wonderful friendly early co-worker was outside placing recyclables away and offered up a ‘howdy’. I could barely grumble out anything remotely friendly aside from a ‘pfffstt’ I dried off fine, then had to endure the well-meant, yet seemingly pithy comments of my caring concerned coworkers… (“Why did I ride in.. did I ride in this.. How was I getting home…”)

Now I have ridden in a light mist to mild rain. ICK! I would prefer to never do this again! Ever. How do you guys out there do it? I know people in Portland, Seattle and other locations with higher precipitation annuals do it. What’s the trick?

I still have to get home and the temp has dropped to 42. It’s supposed to be raining. And the wind will flip to be against me going home between 25-30 mph. AND I didn’t bring my Arron sweater... just that non-breathable rain jacket…. You can’t say that daily bike commuting doesn’t add a taste of adventure to the day. Every time it’s a new event!

1 comment:

Iron Pol said...

There are always those little challenges, and we show who we are by how we respond. Every time you weather a difficulty, you become a stronger person and stronger cyclist. Most would have thrown in the towel when the car died before even considering alternatives. You keep going even in the bad conditions.

Keep up the great work!