Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Weather ad Protien Snacks

Yesterdays pedal home was interesting but Not tasty!

The area was experiencing wind gusts from 22-35 mph (mostly from the direction I was coming from) SSE. I flew home with almost no effort and made it in 31 minutes!

Let’s talk about Texas weather. Two Firday’s past, I was screaming & jumping up & down like a kid. There was real Snow falling from the sky. Huge, soft, fluffy flakes. Not the ice that Texas typically gets. Last Friday, I almost melted on my way home. It was 87 degrees and the humidity was 85%. My face felt red, sweat was dripping, I got shaky. By the time I pulled into my driveway, I was shaky and so HOT I was queasy. Even coasting as much as I could, the double pronged fork of the heat index is going to be a major factor for the majority of the year for my bike commuting.

I am wondering will I develop better heat tolerance? Do you have any tips for combating the heat (it’s really a problem when the humidity is high)? Combining elevated humidity, concrete and exhaust from all the trucks is going to make for some warm commutes. Physically, I want to avoid the shakes and queasy feelings!

Texas heat index is the precursor indicating the flying bugs are once again staging a coup for world domination. I have a deviated septum, which really just means my nose is crooked… so I have one nostril noticeably smaller then the other, thus I have been breathing in from my mouth. Yesterday I ate my first CRUNCHY bug!! If anyone was standing in their yards as I passed at the moment of ingestion; I probably appeared t be enduring a grand mal seizure, as I attempted to spit and gag simultaneously! Maybe I need to keep some honey on the bike so I can dip the bugs prior to swallowing them.... create a sweeter protien snack!

2 comments:

CVSURF said...

Think of it as cheap protein. Sounds like your getting ready to get a new bike. Do it! As much as your riding, you deserve it.

TexanInOK said...

Yeah go for the new bike. It will make the ride much more enjoyable and it will be peace of mind that you won't get stranded again, well hopefully :)