Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fears of Your Non-Cycling Acquaintances

This probably needs to be posted under Bike Related Reactions of non-cyclists.

Thursday, I didn’t ride. I had a doctor’s appointment.. Per work protocol, I posted this information on an internal internet calendar, accessible by all my work-mates. The appointment was early so I wasn’t coming in to unlock my office prior to donating blood for the vampires of science.

Unaware of any issue, I made my appointment& donned the high fashion yet breezy apparel provided. Fasting over, I slipped back into my work clothes & swung past my house for a bite. Drama was 5 minutes behind.

Banging on my French doors, startled me from my foray into the fridge. My second boss up is standing outside the door, wearing both a worried and relieved expression on her bright face. During breakfast (Thurs we do a work family breakfast!!)They had missed me. My direct boss had forgotten I had a Dr. App… Because I had been a goober and forgotten my cell phone at work, they couldn’t call me. Concerns regarding my weird bike commuting habit… leached any thinking ability out of their brains. Each worried ‘what if’ story was more macabre then the last( some of the imaginative stories were pretty good! A few of my co-workers need to start churning out novels in suspense/horror drama.

Creeping along in her Suburban, my second boss up scoured the ditches for The Beast and I. If she hadn’t found me at home… they were going to start calling the hospitals and bringing out the dogs…. (Luckily I went back home after the Dr. App. to eat!!) I answered the door (thinking something terrible must have happened to my boss (recall is a tri or ultra runner)).

- If you bike commute, tell Everyone when you have a schedule alteration, so they don’t

stress themselves out imagining you splattered in the grill guard of a dually!
- Even people who drive Large SUV’s Still have Good Hearts!
- Co-workers become Family really quick! You may not be aware of it… but other people Do Care about your well being.

No comments: